- The fifth annual conference of the International Society for Late Antique Literary Studies (ISLALS) will convene at the University of Salamanca (Spain) on October 6–7, 2017, following the successful meetings in the USA (Brown 2013, Boston 2014, Bryn Mawr and Haverford 2016) and the UK (Oxford 2015).
- Under the motto “Literature squared”, this year’s conference will cover a wide range of topics directly related to the general idea of literature speaking of, commenting on, or contrasting with, literature itself: from metaliterary prooemia and self-referential pieces/passages, to Christian and pagan exegesis (commentaries, metatexts, paratexts, allegorical re-readings, rhetorical treatises, hermeneutics, etc), via all kind of self-aware “derivative” genres (such as centos, epitomes, translations, paraphrases, etc). Intertextual dialogues will be also taken into consideration, provided that they focus on strictly (meta-)literary issues. Finally, special attention will be paid to the study of the late antique philosophical inquiries on the ideas of fictionality, language, representation and literature.
- Communications will be 20 minutes long, with 10 additional minutes for questions and discussion.
- English and Spanish will be the accepted languages.
- Depending on the quality and coherence of the presentations the publication of a collected volume will be envisaged.
- Both senior scholars and early career researchers (including PhD students) are welcome (and encouraged) to submit paper proposals.
- If you would like to participate, please send an abstract of your paper (200-300 words) via email attachment by May 15, 2017 to the organizers: Jesús Hernández Lobato (email@example.com) and Óscar Prieto Domínguez (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include your academic affiliation.
- ISLALS requires no dues and there is no registration fee for the conference. A closing banquet for conference speakers will round out this year’s gathering, commemorating the eighth centenary of the foundation of the University of Salamanca, the third oldest in continuous operation in Europe. Expenses for lodging and travel to and from the conference will be the responsibility of participants. The organizers can help participants secure lodging at nearby hotels. Additional information about the conference can be found at: https://salamancaislals.wordpress.com/
- Please send queries about conference particulars to the organizers: Jesús Hernández Lobato (email@example.com) and Óscar Prieto Domínguez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- General queries about ISLALS may be sent to any member of the steering committee: Scott McGill (email@example.com), Joseph Pucci (Joseph_Pucci@brown.edu) and David Bright (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Publicado en InterClassica el 23.02.2017